Werk Wednesday

Monday, December 12, 2011

Pizza + a Kitten that cooks

When commenting on other blogs, I refer to myself as the Clueless Nut. It's easier to type and uh, fitting.

Most of my cooking is either done with my boyfriend, for my boyfriend, or guided by his instructions.

Admittedly, he has taught me alot about cooking. Or maybe I have taught myself alot about his cooking. Like when I stand over his shoulder and watch him do his thing (which he absolutely can't stand) while also making sure he doesn't throw in any bizzare ingredient i.e. butter, mayonaisse, sour cream.

As soon as I turn my back, he sneaks in a few of the said ingredients and quickly uses it however he pleases. I know it.

Take last Thursday for example. Finishing my last bite of that cheesy, gooey grilled cheese he quickly said, "Iputmayonaisseinthatgrilledcheese."

I usually don't eat mayonnaisse. But atleast it was the mayo made with olive oil. So that is somewhat healthier, right? Whatever.



Boyfriend is too much of a boring word to type. So from now on, I will refer to him as a nickname that was given to him by his friends- Kitten.

Kitten Facebook messaged me a recipe last night. We're hip like that. Of course, it was pizza. Every week during the school semester, he makes homemade pizza. Since we are both on Christmas break and with our separate families, I have to be the cook (using his recipes).

Every Monday while growing up, my mama brought home one pepperoni pizza, one cheese pizza, and if we got lucky- breadsticks. Or even better, cheesesticks; because cheese pizza and cheesesticks aren't the exact same or anything. Not in my 16-year old mind. My favorite part of the pizza tradition was the next morning. I would re-heat two pieces of pizza, jump in my car, and try to steer the wheel with a greasy pizza in one hand and my mascara in the other.

So to keep Monday tradition, I made pizza.



Homemade Whole Wheat Pizza

Serves: 4 (2 pieces each)

Dough Ingredients:
1 packet active dry yeast
3/4 Tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup warm water
2 cups of 100% Whole Wheat Flour (or flour of choice)
2 Tablespoon olive oil

In a medium bowl, combine yeast, sugar, and salt. Mix until first three ingredients are dissolved. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine flour and olive oil. Add the water/yeast mixture and mix just until combined.

Cover dough mixture. Allow it to rise for 1-2 hours.

Turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Knead by hands.

Shape the dough with a rolling pin. Place on lightly greased pizza pan.

Top with desired toppings.

Cook for 12-15 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before cutting.




Topping Ingredients (from last night):

About 2 Tablespoons of pesto (used as a base)
1 tomato, sliced
1 cup spinach, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
1/4 cup mozzarella
2 T, or more feta cheese
Basil and herb goat cheese, crumbled
A sprinkle of quality grated parmesan, added in the last 5 min. of cooking

Wash and prepare (chop, slice, crumble) ingredients accordingly.

Spread pesto. Add chopped and sliced vegetables. Top with mozzarella, feta, then goat cheese. In the last 5 minutes of cooking, lightly sprinkle quality grated parmesan.



Enjoy!

Thankfully, I re-heated pizza again on a Tuesday morning.  I jumped on the couch, trying to control the remote with a piece of greasy pizza in one hand and my make-up remover in the other.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment! I'd like to recieve feedback on how you like each posts and what you would like to see on Clueless Nutrition! If you have ANYthing to say, feel free :)